Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Great Musicals Can Be, Well...Great.



Whenever I think of musicals, I always think of those old, classic titles such as West Side Story, The Sound of Music, or Fiddler on the Roof. Not many great musicals come to mind that were made before 1970 or so. I think there's a reason for this: people aren't interested in a musical, let alone a good one, these days. And although I can't say that the musical is my favorite genre, or even close to my favorite, I can say that I do love to watch those time-honored classics every once in a while.

There's something enchanting about watching the main characters' wild expressions and movements during an upbeat number, or hearing their somber yet beautiful voices during a sad one. It's wonderful to see how an actor can capture a character's feelings in a song, whether they're joyous or doleful, and I can't help but admire just how much raw talent the actors have, not to mention how naturally attractive they tend to be.

I recently watched the musical Chicago, directed by Rob Marshall, for the first time in a few years, and I was reminded of just how much energy and charisma that movie has and how well it holds up to the classics. Chicago brought to mind the pure fun and entertainment a great musical can bring, and because of this, Marshall's first musical in seven years, entitled Nine is one of my most anticipated films of 2009. With Marhsall at the helm again and an absolutely spectacular cast including Daniel Day-Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, and Marion Cotillard, this movie has some serious promise. Nine will be released on December 25th, and you can be sure I'll be one of the first in line to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment