Friday, December 4, 2009

Review: Antichrist (2009)


by Evan A. Salazar



For me to even attempt to describe or explain Lars von Trier's Antichrist would rob you of the experience of drowning fearfully in this nightmarish masterpiece. It'd also prove useless, as this movie defies explanation and convention. I mean, there certainly is a story, but it's implications and symbols are complex, and it's philosophy is daunting (but decipherable). I legitimately left the movie not able to formulate words.

I refuse to review this movie, so consider this a recommendation with a strong disclaimer. And by strong disclaimer, I mean strong. This film is not for the faint of heart. It is as shocking as you've heard, possibly more so. It's depraved, it's fascinating, it's as grotesque and as unafraid as a movie could possibly be. I left the theatre shaken and disturbed, and the more I think about it the more it unsettles me. The film at first seems very typically dynamic, but you soon realize after viewing it that it was constantly at crescendo, one that is dissonant and haunting. It's beautiful to look at and horrifying enough to cover your eyes at the same time.

This is an explicit and graphic film. Should that bar you from seeing it? I personally do not think so. This is an important film with merit. But I know for many it's graphic content will be the deciding factor, and for those that worry about such things, know that this movie does not shy away from being as gruesome and button-pushing as it possibly can be.

You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment